All 92 editions are now available. For access to these pages please contact the webmaster.
Two short video interviews are available on the Museum of Liverpool website.
The first is Sharon Brown, Curator of Land Transport and the second is of Jan Ford and John Hawley of OLCO with some very interesting archive film footage.
In January 1923 an interesting ‘Old Locomotive’ was noticed still doing duty as a pumping engine at the Graving Dock, Princes Dock on the River Mersey.
This locomotive was subsequently identified as LION, built in Leeds in 1838 by Messrs Todd, Kitson and Laird for the Liverpool & Manchester Railway and sold ‘Out of Service’ to the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board in 1859. She had been used as a pumping engine since 1871.
Late in 1927, a number of members of the (now defunct) Liverpool Engineering Society, conscious of the recent Centenary of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and anxious that the Centenary of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway should reflect the greater importance of the latter enterprise, began to look towards seeking LION’s restoration and with this objective in view, formed themselves into an
Old Locomotive Committee.